Afghanistan is essential reading for anyone who wants to understand how a land conquered and ruled by foreign dynasties for more than a thousand years became the “graveyard of empires” for the British and Soviets, and what the United States must do to avoid a similar fate.
Recent UPG updates
- The Backstreets: A Novel from Xinjiang
- Mirror in the Sky: The Life and Music of Stevie Nicks
- Viral Justice: An inspiring vision of how we can build a more just world—one small change at a time
- What World Is This? A Pandemic Phenomenology by Judith Butler
- The World Atlas of Trees and Forests – A marvelously illustrated look at the world’s diverse forests and their ecosystems